70th Birthday Congratulations to the NHS
On the 70th anniversary of the NHS, we have been reflecting on the successful projects we have delivered with them over the last 25 years.
From our very first healthcare commission for a new GP surgery in County Durham in the late 1980’s to our most recently completed scheme for Airedale Hospitals NHS, P+HS Architects are proud to be part of the ongoing improvements to healthcare environments benefiting staff, patients and visitors.
Our own significant milestones in healthcare design over the years span acute, primary, community and mental healthcare. Here are just a few highlights:
- Exemplar NHS Case Studies in sustainability for Grindon Lane and Washington Galleries
- Our first P21 contract appointment working with South Tees Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust in 2004. Going on to work extensively via the P21, P21+ and P22 frameworks.
- The first BREEAM Outstanding for the NHS at Houghton Primary Care Centre
- Numerous design awards including BBH’s Grand Prix Design Award and Best Mental Health Design for Kingfisher Court: Acute Mental Health; Best Mental Health Refurbishment for Sheffield PICU; Project of the Year and Best Value for St Benedict’s Hospice; Best Inclusive Building for Haven Court: Integrated community hub for older age care and dementia
- The Endeavour Unit at James Cook University Hospital: an outstanding patient environment for Cancer Care
- A commission for a new Macmillan Centre in North Yorkshire and a new Oncology Treatment Centre in Carlisle for Newcastle NHS working collaboratively with Cumberland Infirmary
- Our first Hybrid Theatre at Glenfield Hospital for Leicester NHS
- CIAT recognition of our excellence in technical delivery on complex healthcare projects (Adrian Evans for Blaydon and Stephen Hatcher for The Endeavour Unit)
- The successful refurbishment of the very first purpose-built health centre for the NHS, John Scott HC, where Nye Bevan himself cut the first turf the in 1949.
There’s so much to celebrate and we are grateful for all the opportunities we have had through our long association with the NHS.
Happy Birthday NHS at 70!