John Scott Health Centre
John Scott was the first purpose-built health centre for the NHS and as such is of great social and architectural interest; Nye Bevan himself cut the first turf for the development in 1949. The building was grade II listed in 2007. The extensive refurbishment has secured the centre’s future, making it compliant with modern healthcare standards and greatly improving the environment for patients and staff.
Following an initial appraisal, P+HS consulted with stakeholders whilst formulating proposals that would provide both a sensitive response to the building and a balance with the clinical needs of a modern day health centre. The aim was to repair, conserve and improve, ensuring that features of significant historic interest were retained. Careful restoration and upgrading included services, the redistribution of internal space and rationalisation of the entrance strategy.
The extensive upgrade has modernised and improved the interiors whilst retaining the building’s original utilitarian style: a hybrid of modernism and classicism with art deco elements such as the terrazzo stairs with chrome and aluminium handrails and glass block ceiling.
The new layout accommodates two GP Practices, hospital outreach services and Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS), each with their own reception. The reconfiguration of rooms has resulted in a better use of space and security is enhanced with a new, rationalised entrance strategy unifying the currently fragmented approach. This strategy creates a shared entrance and waiting space for the GP practices, and revives the original main entrance to the building. The shared entrance allows for greater surveillance in the waiting areas and also a more robust access control strategy for the building.