The study centre started life as the home farm house for the estate of Kiplin Hall and has been used more recently as a study centre. The project brief was to upgrade the existing accommodation in the farm house and to create new accommodation in the adjoining coach house and first floor apple store.
The buildings are Grade II listed with the coach house and apple store having been built circa 1870.
The farm house building was generally in good condition apart from damp due to decayed gutters and loose slates. Works involved general replacement of furniture and appliances and full redecoration.
The coach house and apple loft was in a more serious state of decay with rotted roof timbers requiring the stone slate roof to be stripped. Timing was critical due the presence of bats in the roof space. Doors, windows, brickwork, stonework, random stone walling and iron guttering required renovation and replacement using local materials to match the original types and designs. The concrete surface to the yard was removed to reveal the original river cobble stones underneath